Friday, January 2, 2015

The Road to Rome


T minus 19 days until takeoff.

My visa went through successfully (and surprisingly quick), I have new giant suitcases to tote all of my belongings and I have a sweet new wardrobe (complete with scarves).

I AM SO READY!



HOWEVER....I'm getting nervous. I am, after all, going to a different country without knowing anyone, how to get anywhere or how to even speak the language. The first week or two or three will definitely be an adjustment.


I'll be arriving in Rome around 1pm local time (that's 7am ET) on the 22nd of January and heading straight to the university from the airport. Upon my arrival to the school, I will be given my apartment address and key. The apartment is described as being within "traveling distance" from the university...so I'll be traveling somehow to get there, where I'll unpack a bit and try to stay awake as long as possible.

The next two days are all-day orientations for international students at the American University of Rome. That's basically all I know, but I can assume it includes some sort of welcoming party followed by hours of information and people asking too many questions. I'll be able to get through it as long as there's free snacks...


After that, I'm completely free for one whole day, and then classes begin (which hopefully won't keep me too busy).

As far as traveling goes, the first few weeks will probably be pretty low-key. I'm planning on getting to know the city of Rome before I jet off to different countries--partly so I can figure out where the nearest restaurants/train stations/markets are, and partly because I know I'm going to be pretty overwhelmed for a bit after I arrive.

For those of you who would like to keep in contact with me during my trip, you have several options:

  • Those with a smartphone can download the app "What's App". It's a messaging app that will allow you to sent texts to me over wireless internet since I won't be able to use my phone network. I recommend trying this form of contact with me beforehand because the process of adding contacts can be finicky.
  • Those that use Facebook can use the messenger to "text" me. Similarly, it will send the messages over wifi.
  • Those with a Skype or FaceTime account can use either to contact me. Just let me know if you'd like to go that route and we can set up times to call and swap contact information.
  • Those with none of the above can simply email me or just continue reading the blog as I'll be posting semi-regularly to share pictures and updates.
Additionally, if anyone would like my Rome address, let me know and I'll share it with you as soon as I find out what it is.

Let it be known that I am uncontrollably excited about this, and here's a few GIFs to demonstrate my excitement:





This is where I leave you, folks! Next time you hear from me, I'll be in Rome!

Thoughts for next time: Culture shock, taking classes abroad, living in Italy. 






No comments:

Post a Comment